How can physicians and patients have the important conversations necessary to ensure the right care is delivered at the right time? Choosing Wisely® aims to answer that question.
An initiative of the ABIM Foundation, Choosing Wisely is focused on encouraging physicians, patients and other health care stakeholders to think and talk about medical tests and procedures that may be unnecessary, and in some instances can cause harm.
To spark these conversations, leading specialty societies have created lists of “Things Physicians and Patients Should Question” — evidence-based recommendations that should be discussed to help make wise decisions about the most appropriate care based on a patients’ individual situation.
Consumer Reports is developing and disseminating materials for patients through large consumer groups to help patients engage their physicians in these conversations and ask questions about what tests and procedures are right for them.
More than 50 specialty societies have now joined the campaign, and 30+ societies will announce new lists in late 2013 and early 2014.
Sign up for monthly updates and highlights from organizations working to advance Choosing Wisely.
- #RWJF1stFri Hangout: In #healthcare, more is not necessarily better http://t.co/Of8YG39GLy #ChoosingWisely about 12 hours ago
- RT @AABB: #ChoosingWisely: AABB partners w/ @ABIMFoundation & issues list of 5 recommendations to optimize blood use http://t.co/NgkJrzTKlj about 13 hours ago
- "Don't transfuse more units of blood than necess" - one of @AABB's #ChoosingWisely recos just released. See more - http://t.co/ty7ujGQhcf about 15 hours ago
- RT @AFPJournal: #ChoosingWisely: Don't perform cardiac imaging for patients who are at low risk. More recs relevant to primary care: http:/… 02:53:21 PM April 23, 2014
- .@AABB will release a new #choosingwisely list tomorrow, 4/24 at 11 am ET. Visit http://t.co/rhLQdS1VJv to find out what made the list. 12:01:01 PM April 23, 2014
- RT @DrKerbel: The first thought each time my housestaff orders a scan or test #ChoosingWisely http://t.co/TmbG0WmJtK 02:06:56 PM April 22, 2014