** The American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society released their list of five things on September 17.
** The American Physical Therapy Association becomes the first non-physician group to release a Choosing Wisely list.
** The American Society for Radiation Oncology has released five additional recommendations.
An initiative of the ABIM Foundation, Choosing Wisely is working to spark conversations between providers and patients to ensure the right care is delivered at the right time. Participating organizations have created lists of “Things Providers and Patients Should Question” which include evidence-based recommendations that should be discussed to help make wise decisions about the most appropriate care based on a patients’ individual situation.
Consumer Reports is developing and disseminating materials for patients through large consumer groups to help patients engage their physicians in these conversations and empower them to ask questions about what tests and procedures are right for them.
A suite of communication education modules is also available to help providers engage in these conversations with their patients, and a growing library of video resources provides diverse perspectives on its impact and challenges.
More than 60 specialty societies have joined the campaign since its inception in 2012. New lists will continue to be published through 2014.
Sign up for monthly updates and highlights from organizations working to advance Choosing Wisely.
- RT @ActionGroupMN: Back-to-school means annual exams.But does your child really need that eye exam? Here's what #ChoosingWisely says:http:/… about 11 hours ago
- The @AOFAS released its #choosingwisely list today. Find out what made the top five: http://t.co/GNuk5zvIfW 09:40:35 AM September 17, 2014
- RT @OncologyTimes: RT @OncTimes_AsstEd: 2nd #choosingwisely list from @ASTRO_org released at #ASTRO14 http://t.co/gv2rmdsERv 03:19:34 PM September 16, 2014
- RT @MedChiefs: First #choosingwisely list from non-MD's. Physical therapists advise against bedrest in pts w/ active DVT. More here: http:/… 03:19:00 PM September 16, 2014
- "Farewell, Heating Pad: Physical Therapists Say It Doesn't Help" by @NPRHealth on @APTAtweets #choosingwisely list: http://t.co/DeEdPpgcfS 01:57:18 PM September 16, 2014