How can physicians and patients have the important conversations necessary to ensure the right care is delivered at the right time? Choosing Wisely® aims to answer that question.
An initiative of the ABIM Foundation, Choosing Wisely is focused on encouraging physicians, patients and other health care stakeholders to think and talk about medical tests and procedures that may be unnecessary, and in some instances can cause harm.
To spark these conversations, leading specialty societies have created lists of “Things Physicians and Patients Should Question” — evidence-based recommendations that should be discussed to help make wise decisions about the most appropriate care based on a patients’ individual situation.
Consumer Reports is developing and disseminating materials for patients through large consumer groups to help patients engage their physicians in these conversations and ask questions about what tests and procedures are right for them.
More than 50 specialty societies have now joined the campaign, and 30+ societies will announce new lists in late 2013 and early 2014.
Updates from the field
Sign up for monthly updates and highlights from organizations working to advance Choosing Wisely beginning February 2014.
- RT @betterhealthcle: Got sniffles? Ask your doctor if you REALLY need antibiotics. Go to http://t.co/pin7Za7OOc to learn more & be among th… about 5 hours ago
- RT @MHQP: You're Getting Too Much Healthcare: Too many tests, referrals are setting back the US medical system http://t.co/bo9FE8uN2p #choo… about 7 hours ago
- RT @WolfsonD: #IHI25Forum Goal to bend the cost curve and improve quality/ safety. #choosingwisely - partnerships, collaboration. @consume… about 7 hours ago
- New Post on The Medical Professionalism Blog: "A Defining Moment in Medical Education Promotion" http://t.co/tmZgxbAXFV #meded about 8 hours ago
- Tune in, later this morning: @ABIMfoundation EVP & COO, @wolfsond, to speak about #choosingwisely at #IHI25Forum http://t.co/bUnhFrF81n about 10 hours ago
- Tomorrow at 9:30am: @ABIMfoundation EVP & COO, @WolfsonD, to speak about #choosingwisely at #IHI25Forum http://t.co/rs6hQJ44Z8 05:02:25 PM December 09, 2013