Reducing Low-Value Care in Vulnerable Populations – Clinician Engagement
The resources below can help safety-net practices, hospitals and systems engage their clinicians in Choosing Wisely. They have been broken into sections by time commitment:
- If you have five minutes, check out our top five insights from each area.
- If you have twenty minutes, read sample scripts, review tools or listen to a short podcast.
- If you have an hour to dedicate, read the source journal articles, watch a webinar or join our learning network to connect with others.
If you have five minutes…
Five things to consider when working:to decrease low-value care when serving vulnerable populations:
Keep the focus of clinician-patient conversations on improving patient safety (vs. decreasing health care costs).
Be sure to present your recommendations respectfully and non-judgmentally.
Involve your care team so patients hear the Choosing Wisely message in multiple ways from multiple people.
Be aware that most patients value your time with them more than the tests or treatments you order; patients generally appreciate and are open to honest conversations.
Consider coupling conversations that focus on reducing LVC with complimentary messages re: opportunities to increase high value care (e.g. preventive care).
If you have 20 minutes…
- Tools from Quality Counts’ Choosing Wisely Implementation Toolkit to integrate into your workflow.
- Sample scripts developed for practice staff and clinicians to use with patients when having CW conversations (See page 4 of Quality Counts’ CW Implementation Toolkit)
- “Testing Choosing Wisely Campaign Concepts with Low-Income Populations: Focus Group Findings” white paper (TK summer 2019)
- “5 Things About Choosing Wisely and the Safety Net” (from “Updates From The Field”)
- “Bringing Choosing Wisely to the Underserved” (from “Updates From The Field”)
- “Implementing Choosing Wisely – Practices Share Lessons Learned”
- Slides from the webinar “Being a Physician Champion for Choosing Wisely in an FQHC,” with Dr. Robert Kolker.
- Use academic detailing to have 1:1 conversations with clinicians to enlist their help to become CW champions
- Place the Choosing Wisely “5 Questions” in your clinical settings.
- Place “Commitment Posters” in patient exam and waiting rooms
If you have 60 minutes…
- Treating, Fast and Slow: Americans’ Understanding of and Responses to Low-Value Care, Milbank Quarterly, 95(1), 2017.
- Low Value Medical Services in the Safety Net Population, JAMA Int Med, 177(6), 2017.
- Interventions Aimed at Reducing Use of Low-value Health Services, Medical Care Research & Review, 74(5), 2017.
- Engaging Physicians in Change: Results of Safety Net QI Program to Reduce Overuse,AmJMedQual, 26(1),2010.
- “Acting as a Physician Champion for Choosing Wisely in an FQHC” with Dr. Robert Kolker, CW National Learning Network webinar, April 2019.
- Present the Choosing Wisely slide deck. (TK)