The American Academy of Ophthalmology (the Academy) is advancing Choosing Wisely® through an educational course aimed at strengthening ophthalmologists’ communication skills with patients around the campaign’s core concepts. The project is being conducted in conjunction with a state society partner, the Minnesota Academy of Ophthalmology, and targets 299 active ophthalmologists and ophthalmologists-in-training working in a mix of private and academic practices, and small and large group practices.
To help disseminate information to its members, the Academy has conducted a number of activities including:
- Creation of a special section of the Academy’s website
- Publishing an editorial in Ophthalmology
- Disseminating a video from the Academy’s EVP and CEO David Parke, MD
- Developing a series of patient education pages:
The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s mission is to serve as a resource on ophthalmic evidence-based, efficient care, quality improvement and public health by generating data; synthesizing information; fostering research and analysis; and developing systems, resources and individuals, all for improving clinical decision making, developing public health policies and providing physician education to enhance access and quality of eye care.
- “AAO Develops Online Curriculum to Support Ophthalmologists in Choosing Wisely” from Updates From The Field, Dec. 2014