The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) sought a grant from the ABIM Foundation to further the dialogue initiated by the Choosing Wisely® campaign by developing an educational platform and leveraging its chapters to reach out to its membership.
SHM will engage its membership in Choosing Wisely in a number of ways, including:
- creation of educational webinars;
- development of a Choosing Wisely microsite; and,
- encouraging members to share the recommendations at their local chapter meetings and within their institutions.
A case study competition, launching in June 2014, will help highlight innovative implementation of SHM’s recommendations.
To date SHM’s members have:
- Presented the society’s Choosing Wisely recommendations at over 15 chapter/regional meetings
- Hosted two educational webinars for membership
- Published two journal articles about participation in the campaign
- Seen its recommendations covered in over 40 media outlets. For example:
The Society of Hospital Medicine’s mission is to promote exceptional care for hospitalized patients. It has four primary objectives:
- Promoting high-quality and high-value health care for every hospitalized patient
- Advancing the state of the art in hospital medicine through education and research
- Improving hospitals and the health care community through innovation, collaboration and patient-centered care
- Supporting and nurturing a vibrant, diverse and multidisciplinary membership to ensure the long-term health of hospital medicine
- “Clearing the Air to Reduce Hospital Stays” from Updates From The Field, June 2015