The American Academy of Ophthalmology (the Academy) advanced Choosing Wisely through an educational course aimed at strengthening ophthalmologists’ communication skills with patients around the campaign’s core concepts. The project was conducted in conjunction with a state society partner, the Minnesota Academy of Ophthalmology, and targeted 299 active ophthalmologists and ophthalmologists-in-training working in a mix of private and academic practices, and small and large group practices.
To help disseminate information to its members, the Academy conducted a number of activities including:
- Creation of a special section of the Academy’s website
- Publishing an editorial in Ophthalmology
- Disseminating a video from the Academy’s EVP and CEO David Parke, MD
- Developing a series of patient education pages:
The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s mission is to serve as a resource on ophthalmic evidence-based, efficient care, quality improvement and public health by generating data; synthesizing information; fostering research and analysis; and developing systems, resources and individuals, all for improving clinical decision making, developing public health policies and providing physician education to enhance access and quality of eye care.
- “AAO Develops Online Curriculum to Support Ophthalmologists in Choosing Wisely” from Updates From The Field, Dec. 2014