The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) sought a grant from the ABIM Foundation to further the dialogue initiated by the Choosing Wisely campaign by developing an educational platform and leveraging its chapters to reach out to its membership.
SHM engaged its membership in Choosing Wisely in a number of ways, including:
- creation of educational webinars;
- development of a Choosing Wisely microsite; and,
- encouraging members to share the recommendations at their local chapter meetings and within their institutions.
A case study competition, launched in June 2014, helped highlight innovative implementation of SHM’s recommendations.
SHM’s members have:
- Presented the society’s Choosing Wisely recommendations at over 15 chapter/regional meetings
- Hosted two educational webinars for membership
- Published two journal articles about participation in the campaign
- Seen its recommendations covered in over 40 media outlets. For example:
The Society of Hospital Medicine’s mission is to promote exceptional care for hospitalized patients. It has four primary objectives:
- Promoting high-quality and high-value health care for every hospitalized patient
- Advancing the state of the art in hospital medicine through education and research
- Improving hospitals and the health care community through innovation, collaboration and patient-centered care
- Supporting and nurturing a vibrant, diverse and multidisciplinary membership to ensure the long-term health of hospital medicine
- “Clearing the Air to Reduce Hospital Stays” from Updates From The Field, June 2015