Got Research? Join New Community Addressing Low-Value Care
AcademyHealth and the ABIM Foundation recently announced a new partnership aimed at growing the research base around low-value health care. While efforts like the Choosing Wisely® campaign are helping clinicians and patients engage in conversations about what care they truly need, gaps exist in the research on which approaches work best to eliminate unnecessary care across the spectrum of the health care system.
AcademyHealth and ABIM Foundation will convene researchers and other stakeholders from across the health care system to accelerate the development and implementation of timely and relevant research in this area. The Research Community on Low-Value Care aspires to build a collective understanding of ways to reduce the prevalence of low-value care by:
- sharing lessons learned to advance research to reduce low-value care;
- engaging in collective problem-solving;
- facilitating the exchange of innovative methods and strategies to reduce low-value care; and
- fostering research partnerships for externally funded research on low-value care.
The creation of the research community stems from two successful multi-stakeholder meetings held in 2014 and 2015 that focused attention on the emerging and needed evidence base on low-value care. To build on those learnings, the community will include:
- an online forum;
- a seven-part webinar series; and
- an in-person meeting to stimulate research development and ultimately inform efforts to reduce overuse in the United States and globally.
To join the Research Community on Low-Value Care, please contact: LVRC@academyhealth.org